Monday, March 22, 2010

Health Care Reform

It's been way too long since I last posted...plenty of topics but didn't feel like typing them. I never wanted to make this a political blog but I also don't want to get into arguments on Facebook where I end up being a jerk or blocking people because I think they're ignorant.

I think its story time...
During my service in the Peace Corps (their views are not represented here just in case you were wondering) I got appendicitis and had to have my appendix removed in the Philippines. Some would consider this very unlucky but considering the US government paid for it and I recovered quite nicely I consider it very very lucky.

An unnamed friend of mine who served her country with me in the Peace Corps bought the Peace Corps insurance for a few months, it's about $158/month which is quite pricy when you don't have a job immediately upon return from two years of service. Yes, we do get a stipend of $225/month after we finish our service, which is taxed. They recently increased it to $275/month...the first time it's been raised since 1961, I believe. Back to the story, she dropped the health insurance because it was too expensive and she was healthy. Rather unexpectedly (turns out you can't really expect these things) at the beginning of the month she started suffering stomach pains and was taken to the hospital. She had appendicitis. No fault of her own. It just happened. No insurance. So now she owes $30,000 dollars. You could argue that she wouldn't have to pay as much if she had insurance. Yes, that's true. If her insurance had been affordable most likely she would have kept it and wouldn't be in the hole $30,000.

This is one of the reasons why I support Health Care Reform. Health Care is a right and everyone should be entitled to it. You shouldn't have to go into medical debt because you can't afford insurance. You're already sick, having to worry about paying your bills on top of that is crap!

Another reason why I support Health Care Reform. I have family members who have diseases that could cause them to be dropped from insurance companies. Thankfully they haven't been. They didn't choose to get these diseases or illnesses and if they were to get dropped from insurance that would be double-duty unfairness in my book (yes I know the world isn't a fair place.) I'm sure my family would somehow figure out a way to pay for the medicine/surgeries that are needed should the insurance companies decide to drop them. But I can and will acknowledge that my family is better off than some, perhaps not most, but some. But what if we weren't how would those bills get paid? This is a reality for many people. And perhaps you're saying well, Why can't they go out and get a job/better job? Perhaps due to their illness or discrimination based on their illness they can't...then what do they do?

What is so wrong with wanting to provide health care to all? Not to get nasty but do you want to see your neighbors, heck even your relatives (they could be ashamed and you may not know their sitituation) suffer under incredible debt?

1 comment: