Wednesday, January 27, 2010

worries and flurries

While getting my eyebrows and upper lip waxed, so I look less like a furry monster and more like a young professional that everyone wants to hire, worrying over the next two bills I have due (health insurance and gym membership) and which to pay first (health insurance, duh) and when...The cerologist, as they are called at this waxing establishment, engaged me in conversation. Asking where I was from and my backstory. I told her about the Philippines and she asked "Is their human trafficking there?" I was a bit stunned. This isn't normal waxing talk and not a conversation I have frequently with people I do or don't know. I explained the situation and told stories that I had heard. She teared up. And told me about an organization that she supports and apologized for tearing up. Seriously who makes their waxer cry? She asked if I felt like it was a lost cause. I paused for a moment. I am hopeful that the numbers of humans that are being trafficked goes down. But this has been going on for centuries, human trafficking is not new and we haven't found a cure for it yet. We seem to create new ways to enslave humans and poverty makes it easier. Heavy, no?

I walked down the stairs with a heavy heart. I opened the door and gasped. It was flurrying. Life in the outside world already seemed slower and less frantic. I breathed in and out a few times letting the flakes fall. I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment